Typically, this is done through DNA testing. Once you have determined for certain that you are the father, a Court can determine your custody rights and child support obligations (see our pages on Child Custody and Visitation and Child Support ).  If you are the father of a child born out of wedlock, you have a right to visitation with and custody of your child. Just as with children born during a marriage, the Court will determine what is in the best interest of the child when ordering custody.  You, absolutely, must make sure, however, that you provide support to your child, no matter the situation, and keep accurate records of that support.

If you are the mother of a child born out of wedlock, you can request that a Court hold the father financially responsible for the support of your child, even if he does not wish to be involved in the child’s life.

We at CORNELL LAW FIRM can help you through the process of establishing and protecting your family.  If you believe you are a father of a child born out of wedlock, contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your options, your rights and your responsibilities to ensure that you are in the best possible position to secure your rights regarding your child.  If you are a mother who has a child born out of wedlock, contact us today to help you establish the support you need to raise your child and create a more secure future for you and your child.